Hera was the Olympian queen of the gods and the goddess of women and relationship. She was also a goddess of the sky and starry heavens. She was generally portrayed as a beautiful woman donning a crown and holding a royal, lotus-tipped staff. Sometimes she held a royal lion or had a cuckoo or hawk as her familiar.
A lot of the more famous myths featuring the goddess consist of:
- Her marriage to Zeus and her previously attraction by the god in the guise of a cuckoo bird;
- The birth of Hephaistos who she developed alone and cast from heaven because he was crippled;
- Her persecution of the consorts of Zeus, especially Leto, Semele and Alkmene;
- Her persecution of Herakles and Dionysos, the favorite bastard sons of Zeus;
- The consequence of Ixion, who was chained to a fiery wheel for seeking to breach the goddess;
- The supporting of the Argonauts in their mission for the golden fleece, their leader Jason becoming one of her favourites;
- The judgement of Paris, in which she taken part against Aphrodite and Athene for the reward of the golden apple;
- The Trojan War, in which she assisted the Greeks.
Read More articles and see the pictures about greek gods and greek goddesses: