The House of Mary at Ephesus
Devout Christians bring Ephesus with Mary, the mother of Jesus, the name, because Jesus on the cross, before his death, the young John entrusted his mother: “‘Behold your mother!” And from that hour the disciple took her to Himself “(John 19, 27). The Apostle John himself was buried in Ephesus and it is assumed that he lived in Ephesus, and from there – in his area of influence in Asia Minor – to preach the gospel.
There are three proofs that this place was the final home of Mary:
1. The presence of the tomb of the “beloved disciple” John in Ephesus.
2. At the Council of Ephesus (431 AD). The doctrine was upheld by the divine motherhood of Mary. The church in which this council was held, was the first in the world that Mary was dedicated. The Council Fathers say to a point where it over the Syrian monk Nestorius, the title of Mary as “Theotokos,” Mother of God “rejected, and it noted that Mary spoke while the mother of Jesus, not God’s,” After (Nestorius) arrived in Ephesus, where the Theologian, St. John and the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God … ”
3. According to oral tradition of the Orthodox inhabitants of the village Kirkindsche (these are descendants of the first Christians of Ephesus) these every year at the Maria-Ascension to pilgrimages to this place to celebrate the “Dormition of Mary. They had to get passed down from their ancestors the belief that Mary is in this place, they called Panaya Kapula or entrance to the Virgin, lived and died.
1841, he published “The Life of the Blessed Virgin” – written under the revelations of the German mystic Anne Catherine Emmerich. This nun, who had never been to this place, saw in their visions of Mary in Ephesus, and described life with an amazing accuracy the house on the hill near Ephesus, where Mary spent her last years.
This book gave impetus to two scientific expeditions: the superior of the Vincentians in Smyrna in 1891, a commission sent to Ephesus, which actually found a ruined house all the way to the visionary Anne Catherine Emmerich’s description.
It was built on the ruins of the house of Mary. Foundations date from the 1st and 3 Century. The rest of the building is of recent origin. The last restoration was carried out 1951st
Place of silence
If you come to Ephesus should visit the house of Mary. It is a secluded place in the hills, a place of tranquility and peace.